Emboorugh

Status: 
Open
Number of Burials: 
929
Number of Memorials: 
55

From the Western Daily Press of Sat 26 Jan 1924 p5; “Some discoveries have recently been made during restorations to the fabric of Emborough Church. Emborough, it may be stated, is small parish 5½ miles north-east of Wells, and 1½ miles from Binegar Station, on the Somerset and Dorset Railway. It contains only 150 inhabitants, and beyond the church there is not very much to attract the sightseer. The church itself, a handsome little building in the Early English style, could, until a few months ago, boast only two features of interest, a Norman font of rude workmanship, and a 14th century sanctus bell in the tower. Kelly describes it as comprising “a chancel, nave of three bays, transepts, and embattled central tower." Prior to 1886, however, the building had not been systematically, repaired since the 15th century, but that year the condition of the stonework made imperative that extensive restorations should carried out. Unfortunately, St. Mary's was only partially renovated on that occasion, and the matter did not receive attention till just before the outbreak the great war, when a sum of money was set aside for the purpose by private benefactions. The period of hostilities, of course, necessitated further delay, and it was September last that the whole structure was carefully overhauled. . . . .”

From the Shepton Mallet Journal of Fri 13 Jul 1951: “It was during the summer of 1924 that the Bishop of Bath and Wells conducted a service of joy and thanksgiving for the restoration of Emborough Church which had been in a bad state of dis-repair, having had the attentions of the death watch beetle. Once again the old church is badly in need of extensive repair and redecoration and of course, Emborough is determined to see the work carried out. . . .”

The church has been designated Grade II* by Historic England. It is in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust having been declared redundant in 1978. In 2021 the church had an entry at a website for locations for ‘champing’, that is, camping in a church.

Documentation: 

At Somerset Heritage Centre:

  • D/P/emb/2/1/1 Baptisms 1569-1740; Marriages 1570-1733; Burials 1569-1733. 1569-1740
  • D/P/emb/2/1/2 Baptisms 1738-1812; Marriages 1742-1754; Burials 1741-1812. 1738-1812
  • D/P/emb/2/1/9 Burials 1813-1992

The register for 1569-1732 has the usual vagaries of spelling and in some cases illegible entries. The writing becomes more ‘modern’ around 1700.

In 1775 there is a change in hand and the spelling deteriorates leading to anomalous spellings of forenames, surnames and parishes. As an example ‘Samuel Goold’ becomes ‘Sammul Guld’. Numbering of entries start in 1784 but serves only to count the number per year. ‘Pauper’ is rendered as ‘poper’ in the 1790s when it was necessary to discount entries for paupers for tax purposes. The spelling improves in 1799 although ‘Elizebeth’ and ‘Guld’ persist.

The Gravestone Photographic Resource has 56 grave and 146 person records and date from early 2014. There is no map. The names are those from the memorials are not necessarily the full names as they appear in the burial register and there are various names which have no corresponding entry in the burial register. A reconciliation between its entries and those in the burial register has found several where the year of burial is incorrect.

Coverage in Index: 
1606-1997