Charlcombe

Status: 
Open
Number of Burials: 
958 (1710-2015)
Number of Memorials: 
>200
Access: 

Charlcombe Lane connecting Lansdown with Woolley is narrow. The turning from it uphill to the church is not signposted and is easy to miss. It is possible to drive up to the church along a single-track driveway.

The church from the east.jpg

The church from the East

Location Charlcombe.jpg

Location

The church of The Blessed Virgin Mary at Charlcombe is Norman in origin, although restored in 1861 by Sir Gilbert Scott.

The graveyard is on all four sides of the church and downhill from it is a ‘quiet garden’ and the site of the holy well. The garden contains some benches with dedications. More recent memorials, including plaques, are on the western side of the church.

A map from 1901, when an extension to the churchyard for 78 new plots was proposed, showed the presence of 186 surviving memorials.

Documentation: 

Burial Register Microfiches:  1709-1812 [Bath Record Office]

Transcripts / Indexes:           Bap., Marr., Bur.  1709-1837 [Bath Record Office]

Map of Claverton Churchyard (1901) [Bath Record Office]

Burial Register Name Index (1710-2015), P J Bendall [Bath Record Office]

Maps: 
Coverage in Index: 
1710-2015