Countess of Huntingdon's Burial Ground

Status: 
Closed
Location Countess of Huntingdon.jpg

Location

The Countess of Huntingdon’s Chapel is in the Vineyards and now houses Bath Preservation Trust’s Museum of Bath Architecture. The Ordnance Survey map of 1885 shows the location of the cemetery in Julian Road (originally Cottles Lane). From the Bath Chronicle of Thu 27 Mar 1873 “The inhabitants of St. James’s-street, St. James’s-square, Julian-road and the neighbourhood, will learn with satisfaction that the Countess of Huntingdon’s Burial Ground, which lately formed the subject of a Government inquiry in Bath, is to be closed.” After the destruction of St Andrew’s church in 1942, a new St Andrew’s church was built on the site of the burial ground. This church is no longer used and visitors are directed to Christ Church 300m to the east.

Documentation: 

No documentation of burials in this cemetery has been found. Bath Record Office’s website states that it holds records for “Vineyards (formerly Countess of Huntingdon’s Chapel)” but these do not include burial records.