Dunkerton

Status: 
Closed

All Saints’ church, Dunkerton is part of the benefice of Timsbury, Priston, Camerton and Dunkerton within the archdeaconry of Midsomer Norton.

The Bath Chronicle of Thu 7 Jul 1859 p3 reported on the restoration of the church’s tower which was being done by subscription and at the expense of the Rector, Rev Frederick Sowden. During the course of the restoration the steps and entrance to a rood loft were discovered as well as carving “which may probably have formed the tabernacle of a saint”.  An early southern doorway was also found and its plain form with a circular head suggest that “together with those of Priston, Englishcombe, Southstoke, and Langridge, were in existence prior to the time of [King] Stephen”. When the roof was removed the Ten Commandments were found painted in black. The restoration was superintended by Charles Davis, Bath’s surveyor of works.

(The Rev Frederick Sowden changed his surname to Grosvenor, see the Bath Chronicle Thu 22-Jan-1874 p7.)

The organ for the church was built in 1877 replacing the harmonium that had been in use for 14 years (Bath Chronicle Thu 24 May 1877 p3). When completed there was a ‘grand opening’ during which divine service was held with a sermon preached by the Bishop of Bath and Wells (Bath Chronicle Thu 27 Sep 1877 p3).

Over the next couple of years the church underwent a series of improvements including the addition of stained-glass windows and improvements to the organ (Bath Chronicle 5 Jun 1879 p7).

The churchyard is on all four sides of the church, the graves being arranged in a grid and oriented east-west.

Maps: 
Coverage in Index: 
1752-2016