Moravian Burial Ground

Opened: 
circa 1792
Status: 
Closed
Number of Burials: 
>200
Access: 

The leases on the properties oblige the leaseholders to give public access to the burial ground. However, prior agreement of a visit is recommended.

Moravian Cottages.jpg

Moravian Cottages

Location of Moravian.jpg

Location

There have been a series of Moravian churches in Bath with a chapel in Monmouth Street in 1765, moving to Charlotte Street in 1834, then Coronation Avenue, Oldfield Park in 1907 and Weston in 1950.

The burial ground is to the rear of 1 and 2 Moravian Cottages, Weston Road, built in the 1780s but the burial ground is believed to have started circa 1792 when one of the cottages was sold to William Evenis a member of the Moravian congregation.

The burial ground is 38’ (9.7m) wide and 112’ (34m) long. In general it has 5 plots per row and 38 rows. Rows 18-23 have 6 plots per row.

Documentation: 

RG4/3253 Moravian Burials, Weston Lane 1826-1840. [Bath Record Office]

List of names, dates and ages with a map of who is buried where, 1991 [Bath Record Office].

Limitations

The documentation at Bath Record Office only covers only a limited period and there are inconsistencies between the two sets of information. The map has mainly initials and surnames, a few with dates. Further information is available at the Moravian Archives in N London.

Maps: