Quaker Burial Ground, Batheaston

Opened: 
1703
Status: 
Closed
Number of Burials: 
246

The burial ground at Avondale, London Road East, Batheaston was a square area near where the A4 to Box and A343 to Bradford meet. It was in use until 1829 when the burial ground near Widcombe Crescent was opened. It no longer exists. It was cleared around 1993 as part of the development of the Batheaston/Swainswick by-pass.

From The Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette of Sat 24 Aug 1929 p18: “An article published elsewhere in this issue respecting half-forgotten Bath burial grounds reminds one that in the “Friends’ Burial Ground,” near Bathford the head-stones of the graves were all of one height, so that even in death, “one Friend should not be above another.” ...” However a witness to the destruction of the burial ground (http://www.avonlocalhistandarch.co.uk/Report.html) reported Bath stone ashlar walled graves, triple case coffins and some large gravestones.

Documentation: 

Extracts of Burials 1652-1837 from the Digest for Bristol and Somerset held at Friends’ House, London. [Bath Record Office]

Society of Friends Monthly Meeting North Somerset Division (Bath, Claverham, Sidcot) Births 1648-1775; Burials 1655-1775. (The National Archives RG6/291)