St Catherine

Status: 
Open
Number of Burials: 
292 (from 1802 to 2011)
Number of Memorials: 
about 100
Access: 

A narrow lane from the A46 at Nimlet goes down the valley eastwards (Leigh Lane) and then southwards (Bow Hill) to Northend and then Batheaston. St Catherine’s Court is about 5km from Nimlet.

From Batheaston, Bow Hill leads past the church of St John the Baptist, Batheaston (600m) and then winds its way along the side of the valley. St Catherine's Court is about 4km from Batheaston High Street. The maps don’t reflect the twists and turns of this single-track road.

The church.jpg

The Church

memorials near the church's door.jpg

Memorials near the church's door

The chapel of St Catherine is within the grounds of St Catherine’s Court, an Elizabethan manor built originally by Prior Cantlow of Bath circa 1500. There is a public right of way to the church - a notice warns that the grounds are private and that CCTV is in operation. The graveyard is on three sides of the church with a separate gated enclosure for a small number of graves. Late 20th and early 21st century memorials are mainly small headstones arranged along a wall. The church itself has some floor and wall memorials and, near the communion table, an elaborate sculpture of a couple at prayer.

Documentation: 

Burial Register Microfiches: 1752-1934 [Bath Record Office], 1752-1812 [Somerset Heritage Centre]

St Catherine Burial Register Entries - Name Index (1802-2011), P J Bendall (2014) [Bath Record Office]

National Burial Index 3: 123 records (1605-6, 1623-24, 1629-30, 1752-1812)

Maps: