Bath Record Office is currently closed but we are planning a safe reopening. Although we are closed for research appointments, we are able to respond to enquiries by email, phone or post.

St Saviour's, Bath

Opened: 
1832
Status: 
Closed
Number of Burials: 
>200
St Saviour's church.jpg

St Saviour's Church

The parish of St Saviour’s, serving Larkhall, was originally part of Walcot parish. The church opened in 1832. It did not have its own registers until 1840. The Bath Chronicle of Thu 25 Oct 1832 reported the burial of Rear-Admiral Volant Vashon Ballard stating that “He was buried Thursday last in the crypt of St Saviour’s new church, Walcot, the first interment which has taken place there.” During the inquiry into the state of burial grounds reported in the Bath Chronicle of Thu 26 Nov 1857 it was stated for St Saviour’s “there is a well-formed crypt in which interment is limited to close relationship. ... The number of funerals during the past year was only four”.

The inquiry into the state of burial grounds in Bath which took place in November 1857 led to an order that the crypt of St Saviour’s be closed. However burials continued there until at least 1891 with 46 burials in the period 1858-1891.

Access to the crypt is by an external door at the eastern end of southern side of the church. Steps lead down to an area with boilers for the heating. There are lights. The burials are arranged between the vaulted supports which run west to east with 5 places at floor level and then three shelves, with two of these having 5 places and the topmost three. Each grouping therefore has the potential for 18 places. Each burial place is 2’ high and 30” wide although those at the top are smaller because of the curve of the vaulting. The covers had incised inscriptions of between two and seven lines. Some inscriptions have deteriorated but many are legible. At various places there are gaps which lead to an area which might have further burials. This was not explored.

The parish joined with St Swithin’s in the establishment of Locksbrook Cemetery, having its own area (see a separate description).

Documentation: 

Bath, St Saviour Burials 1840-1891 [Bath Record Office]

Limitations

The documentation of burials in the period 1832-1840 is unknown. During this period the parish did not have its own registers and the St Swithin’s registers do not specify the location of burials.

For the draft documentation, the locations of the burials in the crypt need checking.

Documents: