Tellisford

Status: 
Open
Number of Burials: 
498

The parish of All Saints, Tellisford was part of the Parish of Rode Major (Rode, Farleigh Hungerford, Tellisford). In 2007 these three churches along with Norton St Philip, St Mary’s Hemington and St Mary’s, Laverton united to form one Parish (the Hardington Vale benefice), part of the Deanery of Frome, in the Wells Archdeaconry within the Diocese of Bath & Wells. A history of Tellisford church can be found at the Hardington Vale Parish website.

From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) p624:

TELLISFORD, a par. in the hundred of Wellow, co. Somerset, 6 miles N.E. of Frome, its post town, and 6 S.W. of Freshford railway station. The village is situated at the bridge over the river Frome, which here separates this co. from that of Wiltshire. About a third part of the village was burnt in 1785. The soil consists of clay and loam. In the vicinity is a fulling mill. The living is a rect. in the dioc. of Bath and Wells, val. £173. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure with a tower containing three bells, and has recently been restored. The parochial charities produce about £4 per annum. There is a school with a small endowment.

The church was Grade II listed in 1968. Unlike many churches in the area, it was not radically extended in the 19th century with aisles and consists of a western tower, a nave, a chancel (with organ) and sanctuary. On the northern side is a vestry. The National Gazetteer entry of 1868 refers to it as having been ‘recently restored’.

Documentation: 

At Somerset Heritage Centre:

  • D/P/tell 2/1/1 Baptisms, Marriages, Burials 1538-1735
  • D/P/tell 2/1/2 Baptisms, Marriages, Burials 1742-1812
  • D/P/tell 2/1/7 Burials 1813-1995
Documents: 
Location: 
Church of All Saints, Tellisford, BA2 7RL
Maps: 
Coverage in Index: 
1742-2018