Twerton Cemetery

Opened: 
1882
Status: 
Closed
Number of Burials: 
8,438
Number of Memorials: 
814
Maintenance: 

Maintained by the Council

Access: 

Iron gates between the lodge and the chapel, on the northern side, give access to the main north-south path.

Entrance with Chapel and lodge.jpg

Entrance with chapel and lodge

The chapel.jpg

The chapel

General View Twerton.jpg

General view

Extent of Twerton cemetery.jpg

Extent of Twerton cemetery

In 1881, the Twerton Burial Board considered a plot of land on the Wells Road as a possible cemetery but this was too close to houses to comply with the regulations on burials. Instead a 2½ acre plot was bought from the Trustees of Bellott’s Hospital later that year. In June 1882 the Burial Board considered tenders for building a chapel, lodge and entrance gates. The chapel and a lodge (now a private residence) are either side of the entrance gates.

The southern part of the ground was reserved for Anglicans and this was consecrated by the Bishop of Bath & Wells on Mon 28 Aug 1882.

In September 1882 one of the 14 applicants for the post of gardener was selected. The graves are aligned east-west and the ground is bisected by a double row of trees that run east-west. On the southern side is the railway. It closed in 1937 when Haycombe Cemetery opened.

Layouy of Twerton cemetery.jpg

Layout of Twerton cemetery

The graves are arranged in a grid with rows being designated A-Z and AA-SS. The plot numbers are in the range 1-28 for the consecrated area and 1-38 for the unconsecrated area.

There were about 8,400 burials and 800 memorials. Many of the graves are common ones. About a quarter of burials were for children aged under 11. Those buried were not exclusively from Twerton and a significant number were from Oldfield Park.

Number of burials by year Twerton.png

Number of Burials by year

 

Documentation: 

The burial registers for the cemetery are held by Bath & NE Somerset’s Bereavement Services department which offers a service to locate a grave.

Name and location indexes for this cemetery produced in 2014 are available at Bath Record Office.