Wellow

Status: 
Open
Number of Burials: 
3,038

The church is part of a joint benefice which includes the parishes of St John's Peasedown, St Julian's, Wellow, St James' the Less, Foxcote and St Julian's Shoscombe. For Wellow there is a graveyard by the church and Wellow & Shoscombe Cemetery. The latter is administered by the Wellow & Shoscombe Joint Burial Board. There are various histories of the church including one at the parish’s website (http://www.wellowparish.info/).

St Julian's

St Julian's church, Wellow

Surviving memorials in the churchyard are on the southern side and include a couple of dozen memorials with some altar/chest tombs. The area north of the church was, in August 2016, fenced off and being used for grazing sheep. To the east of the church are 3 crosses and a dozen headstones arranged in a row. According to the burial register the last burial in the churchyard was on 24-Mar-1900 and the first in the new cemetery on 25-Apr-1900.

Wellow & Shoscombe Cemetery

Entrance gates to Wellow & Shoscombe Cemetery

The cemetery is about 1km west of the western limit of Wellow along Wellow Lane. Parking is in the lane by the entrance gates. It is a roughly rectangular area with a central path running north-west to south-east. There is no mortuary chapel although a map suggests that, at one time, one was planned. The graves are arranged in a grid with an area close to the gates for cremated remains. Rows A-G form the 'unconsecrated' section and rows J-P the 'consecrated' section.

The cemetery is administered by a burial board and is open for new burials as well as burial of ashes. 

 

Documentation: 

The parish registers prior to 1960 are at the Somerset Heritage Centre and there are microfiche copies of these at Bath Record Office. In 2016 the images of the register pages for the period 1813-1914 were available at ancestry.com.

St J’s Benefice offers a service to look up records in its registers from 1960. The cost of this is given at the website (http://stjsgroup.church/about/church-records/). However the records cover the Anglican parishes whereas it is evident from the memorials that the cemetery also includes non-Anglicans.

Coverage in Index: 
1786-2016