Burnett

Status: 
Open
Number of Burials: 
299
Number of Memorials: 
71

For a description of the church see the Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society The Manor and Parish of Burnett, Somerset by W. Leighton 1937, Vol. 59, 243-285 http://www2.glos.ac.uk/bgas/tbgas/v059/bg059243.pdf. This includes "The parish church, dedicated to St. Michael, is a small building of poor workmanship, and mostly of late Perpendicular date. It is built of local stone and tiled, and contains a nave with western bell-cot and south porch, and a chancel, from which projects on the south side a sepulchral chapel or manor pew. Neither the nave, chancel arch nor chancel has a common axis." 

The Church of St Michael dates from the 13th century and is a Grade II listed building.  It contains a monumental brass to John Cutte (mayor of Bristol) from 1575 who owned the village. A church must have occurred prior to its supposed building in the 13th century as it has Norman features and from 1102 the village was owned by Tewkesbury Abbey.

The parish merged with Compton Dando in 1933. It is now in the benefice of Keynsham which also includes Queen Charlton.

Documentation: 

At Somerset Heritage Centre:

  • D/P/bnt 2/1/1 Burials 1749-1811
  • D/P/bnt 2/1/6 Burials 1813-1994
Documents: 
Location: 
Burnett, Bristol BS31 2TF
Maps: 
Coverage in Index: 
1749-2021